- R v AS & others
- Cardiff Crown Court
- Money Laundering
Converting Criminal Property contrary to Section 327 (1) (c) of the proceeds of Crime Act 2002
Acquisition of Criminal Property Section 329 (1) (a) of the proceeds of Crime Act 2002
Transferring Criminal Property contrary to Section 327 (1) (d) of the proceeds of Crime Act 2002
- Total value of money involved being 5.1 Million
- 10 defendants laundered the proceeds from numerous online frauds which targeted people abroad. As a result of these frauds, victims would transfer money to bank accounts held by these defendants or through Western Union. This money would then be transferred to the banks account of the three lead defendants.
- Money would be transferred from the accounts of defendants to other defendants, each time the amounts would be minus 7%.
- Defendants based in Manchester, Liverpool and Cardiff.
- All victims lived abroad. Victims included people living in U.S, Canada, Germany, Spain, Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Far East.
- Types of fraud include Online dating, Spanish Lottery, Advance fee and others.
- Investigation began August 3011, when a victim of dating fraud from New York complained to South Wales Police.