- Operation Timber
- R v GU and others
- Winchester Crown Court
Conspiracy to Steal, contrary to 1(1) of the Criminal Law Act 1977.
Conspiracy to Commit Fraud by False Representation contrary to 1(1) of the Criminal Law Act 1977.
- Case investigated by Hampshire Constabulary and Prosecuting Authority being Homicide Team, Hampshire CPS.
- 2 Defendants, believed to be brothers and originate from Nigeria. Both entered UK as students.
- This case concerns conspiracies to commit theft and fraud between March and October 2016, principally in the Portsmouth and Southampton areas.
- They used their victims’ identities to apply for credit cards via online applications.
- MO- External post boxes at residential addresses have been targeted in and around the Waterlooville area with mail being stolen. The victim’s identities are then being used to apply for credit cards via online applications with the cards then being intercepted. The cards are then used to commit high value frauds.
- There is also evidence of large deposits of unexplained funds going through their bank accounts, including cash credits of over £170,000.